Best Undershirts for Men
Whether it’s a night out with friends or an average day at work, undershirts can make a big difference in your appearance.
Some people rock an undershirt no matter what, while others rarely put one on. No matter where you land, undershirts are undeniably important for your overall look and comfort.
Still, you don’t always have to wear one. There are certain scenarios where undershirts are completely optional.
So, how do you know when you need an undershirt?
We’re going to go through everything you need to know about undershirts — from when you need them to what you need to look for when you’re shopping for one.
When Do Men Need to Wear an Undershirt?
Knowing when to wear an undershirt is key to having the maximum amount of comfort and security when you throw on an outfit. Plus, it helps you avoid wearing down your dress shirts.
Under Dress Shirts
If you look in your closet right now, we’d guess there might be a few white dress shirts or button-downs with discoloration — specifically those infamous yellow armpit stains.
If there aren’t any in your closet right now, that’s great! Still, you’ve definitely seen this issue before, resulting in dress shirts being thrown in the garbage.
These yellow stains can be caused by a couple of things, such as bleach, a bad wash, or incorrect storage. However, the biggest cause is by far deodorant and our natural oils mixing with sweat.
To avoid in-the-moment sweat stains and long-lasting yellow stains, all you have to do is wear a men’s undershirt. While there are plenty of methods for removing yellow stains — wouldn’t you rather avoid them entirely?
In the Heat
As long as you’re not exercising in your dress shirts (and we really hope you aren’t), heat is likely the biggest cause of your stains.
Once again, we offer you a simple solution: wear an undershirt. A tank top isn’t going to keep away those yellow pit stains!
Specifically, an undershirt that can block all of that unwanted moisture from reaching your dress shirt all while staying spiffy. Think of it like a base layer shield protecting you from all the nasty stains and smells you might face when you venture into the heat.
What Features Should I Look for in an Undershirt?
The most important part of any shirt, good undershirt fabric needs to be loaded with features:
- Wrinkle-resistant: Nothing’s more tedious than having to iron out wrinkles. Make sure your fabric is wrinkle-resistant so you can ditch the iron and get to where you need to be.
- Moisture-wicking: Moisture is the sworn enemy of a fresh shirt. Moisture-wicking fabrics manage sweat for all-weather and all-activity comfort. Cotton undershirts don’t do a thing to get rid of that moisture. Those cotton classics will soak your sweat and keep it there, so you’ll be sitting in your own sweat for hours.
- Quick-drying: Your undershirt needs to be able to keep you comfortably dry throughout the day. You’ll be looking fly as long as your shirt keeps you dry. Again that cotton v-neck isn’t going to keep you dry.
- Anti-odor: Even on the longest days, your shirt has to keep you from smelling. Anti-odor properties are key so you never have to worry about sneaking off to reapply deodorant or cologne.
- 360° stretch: Your undershirt needs to move with you, not against you. Look for easy movement in any direction, no matter the activity.
- Breathable: Your fabric needs to be lightweight and breathable to keep you feeling cool, calm, and collected in any climate.
- Euphoria-grade softness: Your shirt’s fabric should take your skin to material paradise — and get softer after every wash.
- Featherlight: Don’t get weighed down by your shirt’s material — light, comfortable, and dry fabric is the cure for summer humidity. Our blend of polyester and spandex v-neck are airy to keep away the heat!
- Durable: Your undershirt should bring you years of comfort, so you don’t have to keep digging into your wallet for replacements month after month.
- Better color retention: Everyone wants to look fresh and crisp, and faded colors can ruin your fit. Look good as new for years.
- Everything-able: That’s a thing, right? Your shirt needs to be versatile, so you can have an easy transition from work to play to the gym.
- Eco-friendly: Performance fabric made from recycled materials gives us the best of both worlds: high-quality function that diverts waste from our oceans, incinerators, and landfills.
- Mesh breathe zones: Micro vent side panels are placed in the areas that sweat the most (your underarms and midsection) for superior breathability to create the perfect sweat proof undershirt.
- Tagless collars: No tag collars means no back of neck itch or irritation. Just comfort soft fabric.
- Stay-tucked length : Trying to avoid plumber crack? Your shirt should be cut longer in the front and even longer in the back to avoid your shirt untucking — even when you’re sitting.
- Deep-enough V: If this is your look, the deep V-neck undershirt should be cut deep enough to remain hidden under at least one opened button — and occasionally two.
- Low profile, anti-bacon collar : Bacon is great, but not on your neck. Your lay-flat collar should be stitched to prevent bacon neck and minimize visible lines.
- Forward set shoulder seams : Pretty simple stuff here — your shirt should always hide visible seam lines when layered.
- Tailored slim fit : Your shirt needs to fit, right? Always be sure your shirts are tailored to your size. We don’t mean to literally get them tailored — they should fit like a second skin naturally with a form-fitting size. No visible fabric bunching at the torso, thanks.
- Mid-arm length sleeves: Yet another underrated detail in your shirt, the sleeve length should be perfect — not too long, not too short — just resting at the middle of your bicep.
- Durable Mobility Side Panels : The mesh side panels double as mobility gussets for freedom of movement. It’s built like a tank but moves like a gymnast. A gymnast in a tank? C’mon, that’s a made-for-TV movie idea.
What Types of Undershirts Are Available?
V necks are an essential cut for undershirts because you want to avoid showing your undershirt neckline. With a V neck undershirt, you can leave one or two buttons open without exposing the shirt that’s on underneath.
High V Necks
The High V Neck is meant for a single open-buttoned look. The V is higher and doesn’t go as deep so you’re still able to pop one button without revealing the undershirt. This is a good alternative to a crew neck undershirt.
Obviously, you can still button up all the way if that’s your style. High V necks simply help you pick what suits you the best.
Deep V Necks
Deep V necks are meant for those who hate buttons. Not really, but the deep V allows you to leave one or two buttons undone without exposing your undershirt. This type of V is especially useful during summer as you can get even more airflow with more buttons undone.
Let’s get this out of the way first: guys should not be spending $40 on “premium” white undershirts.
Some guys prefer to go the cheapest route by buying a bunch of undershirts for the lowest price from those bargain brand multi-packs. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with these big box packs — but you’re getting what you pay for (AKA, the bare minimum).
Typically, these shirts will absorb your sweat, get yellow stains easily and are very thin so they wear down and get holes quickly, meaning you’re going to have to keep buying them every few months, which means you’re spending more money over time. Again, there’s nothing wrong with trying to save some money on a shirt people usually aren’t meant to see.
Fortunately, there is an excellent alternative: premium undershirts for men that won’t break the bank. Shirts that are built to last will save you time and money in the long run, since they won’t need to be replaced as often.
Where Can I Find the Best Undershirts for Men?
All Citizens is the happy medium you’ve been looking for between spending a lot on premium undershirts and spending next to nothing on poor-quality ones.
All of our undershirts come equipped with the features you’ve been reading about, from anti-wrinkle capabilities to 360° stretch to being made from an eco-friendly recycled performance fabric that diverts plastic bottles from landfills, oceans and incinerators - each of our undershirts is made with yarn from 6 plastic bottles.
The best part? Our undershirts only cost half of what a typical premium undershirt costs. Our mission is to democratize comfort — and it all starts with premium, comfortable, high-performing clothes at an affordable price.
In addition to the best men’s undershirts at a below-market price, All Citizens offers designer-quality men’s underwear, performance dress shirts, T-shirts, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, socks, and more are available at affordable prices.
Why spend $40 on a premium undershirt (or less than $15 on ones that will fall apart quickly) when you can get premium-quality undershirts for affordable prices?
That’s what All Citizens offers: the highest quality shirts at wallet-friendly prices.
Like we said, we’re working to democratize comfort one article of clothing at a time. The next time you’re shopping for your undergarments, underwear, white T shirts, v-neck tees, or pants, we hope you join us on our mission.
Stay dry out there in the heat, and stay comfortable!